Pioneers and Kinsfolk In Wisconsin
By: Irene (Jones) Pratt
June 24, 1956
We are gathered here today to pay homage to David and Margaret (Gillies) Jones who pioneered to Wisconsin from Wales and Scotland; and, especially to Eliza Margaret (Jones) Lloyd who was our mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great grandmother. Her one-hundredth birthday anniversary will be observed on June 30, 1956. Six generations of this family have gathered here at this farm for work, play, visits, holiday celebrations, church meetings, picnics, and funerals for one hundred years; but we believe that this is the first time that we have gathered for such an occasion as this.
It is sad to relate, but we of the later generations, hurried along by the momentum and pressure of our day, scarcely stop and pay just tribute to those sturdy souls who came across the great water, to make and secure for themselves and their opportunities than they had enjoyed in the fair and fond lands from which they had come to this splendid country of freedom and plenty.
These men and women blazed a trail through the forests as they felled the great trees, turned the virgin furrows, built their log houses and barns, weathered the severe winters, and hauled their crops to Milwaukee or Janesville by ox-team. They erected church and school; and built, humanely speaking, almost indestructible fiber into their lives and faith of God into their souls.
That we may understand our heritage, we must return to the "Mother Country" to learn the characteristics, work, and names of these fine folk. First, let us return to Wales.
The written history of Wales began with the Roman invasion of Britain in A.D. 43 with the building or roads and military camps, thus influencing the language of the people. After four hundred years came the Angles and Saxons who attempted to conquer the country; but, the Britons who found refuge in the wild mountainous terrain of Wales kept their independence for a thousand years. The Welsh revolted many times, but it was not until the early 1500's when the Act of Union was passed, did they become an integral part of the British Commonwealth. Today they play an important part in the making of laws for Great Britain.
So, with the Welsh blood tingling in our veins, the Jones clan can pride themselves for being sturdy, generous, and independent. They, also have a special feeling for poetry and music. Wales is a land of mountains, deep valleys, and rushing streams. It is about as large as ten Rock Counties (Wisconsin) with about one-third devoted to farming. Undoubtedly, our ancestors were either farmers or miners.
It was in this beautiful country that Arthur and Mary Jones lived whose family consisted of Edward and Richard who remained in Wales, and Mary who went to London and was lost sight of. Then came the four brothers: Robert, Arthur, David, and Henry who immigrated to America. The youngest child, Elizabeth, was married to Mr. Samuel Wynn. It was their daughter, Catherine Wynn, who married a Mr. Grindley. They went to New Zealand about 1910 as missionaries and teachers to the Maoris, the natives of New Zealand. It was she who corresponded with Aunt Hannah Barlass and Irene Jones Pratt for at least a half century until her death in October 1952.
Mrs. Grindley related that her mother and the brothers were born in a cottage named the "Lynddu" (Lewindee), two miles outside the village of Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Wales. Elizabeth was only nine years old when her mother passed away in 1842, and the father died a year later. Both are buried in Llansaintffraid Churchyard. Elizabeth was taken to Giveerylilis, a roadside inn, by the proprietress who seemed to claim guardianship. Who the boys lived with we have no exact knowledge; but, perhaps with an aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Hughes. They were young men in their early twenties at that time.
Aunt Jessie related that when her father, David Jones, was a little boy he was sent to an Episcopal school. The school-master would sit before the class, while the class stood before him. If a pupil made an incorrect answer, he received a whack with a switch which the master held in one hand and a book in the other.
It was in the 1840's when the papers of Wales were filled with glowing accounts of the vast farming lands that were being opened up in the Northwest Territory at a very cheap price. Naturally, the young men longed to undertake this pioneer venture, so we imagine that they saved of their meager earnings, sufficient money to pay their passage to the U.S. All did not come at the same time. Those who came in 1850 were: David and Henry who were unmarried, and Robert and his wife with their eighteen month old son, Henry. They were in company with their cousins, the Hughes. The next year, 1851, Arthur Jones, his wife, and the three small children arrived in Emerald Grove (Wisconsin).
Leslie Jones related that his father heard his parents tell of the many babies who died aboard ship and were buried at sea. What prayers of Thanksgiving must have been uttered after all had safely reached their destination!
Within a very few years of their coming to Emerald Grove, the four Jones brothers all settled "within a stone's throw of each other." Henry Jones lived in the house where Mrs. Ruth Hanks now lives; Arthur Jones on the place now used as a tenant place on this farm, and located up the north road; Robert Jones lived on the farm now owned by Emil Lux. According to a story Robert Jones was a thrifty farmer who spent little for his children's pleasure or his own, until this farm was paid for. He only lived for six weeks after this project had been accomplished, when he passed away in 1864 at the age of 36 years. But, his wife and seven children had a farm. Insurance, social security, and pensions were unheard of in those days.
Evidently David proved himself an excellent worker, and invested his savings well, also. In the autumn after his arrival, he purchased eighty acres of land from Mr. Erastus Dean and his wife, Judith Dean. The abstract of this farm shows that the Federal Government Entry dated, Feb. 21, 1839 was signed by the president of the U.S., Martin Van Buren. The abstract also shows that on Nov. 16, 1850 David Jones purchased the eighty acres of land where the buildings now stand from the Dean's for the sum of $650. How values have soared during the past century!
An interesting note on the abstract states, "Said Jones is also to have the privilege of a private lane out to the South on the east side of the locust hedge up to the corrman at the Racine Road; both to be used in common by him and others who may own land joining said land, until some public street may be run out which will accommodate said Jones land."
The Gillies family can be traced back to the lowlands of Scotland. However, tradition suggests that the name "Gillies", was derived from the word, "MacGillies", which means, "Falconer to the King" and that it was brought to northern Scotland in the Norman Conquest. Many centuries ago our ancestors migrated to the south of Scotland and the prefix, "Mac" was dropped.
Characteristics of the Scotch people have been grossly exaggerated. They have been charged with being stingy and obstinate, but their attributes of thrift, patriotism, intelligence, loyalty, and devotion to duty, make them one of the best of the various nationalities.
The first Gillies that we know about was James Gillies of Auchtermuchty, Fifeshire, Scotland located between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Tay on the east coast. He was a weaver by trade, running a hand loom in his own home and making fine linen cloth. There are samples of this linen exhibited here today. David Gillies' granddaughter, Mrs. Laverna (Gillies) Houghton, now of Evansville, said that when she visited there in 1904, it was still a quaint weaver's village with thatched roofed cottages.
James' wife was Janet Hutton whom he married near the close of the eighteenth century. To this couple across the waters of "Auld Scotia's fair shores" amid the braes, and burns and heather, is the birthplace of Scott and Burns; land of homely fare and honest poverty, but land, too, of strong faith and sterling worth. It was a land of men who dared and have been an asset to any country to which they migrated.
To this good couple were born eight sons and two daughters. They were William, John, Walter, Robert, James, David, Andrew, George, Janet, and Margaret. It seemed to be fashionable in those days to have large families. The sister, Janet, was considerably older, for Margaret was a aunt to Janet's child at the age of five. Janet's family resided in Canoustie, near Dundee.
Most of the Gillies' brothers were musical, their father having led the singing in the homeland church. James Gillies, grandfather of Elsie Slawson Peabody of Evansville led the singing in the Cooksville Church for many years. All had golden tenor voices.
During the 1840's the fame of the United States was proclaimed widely throughout Scotland. David Gillies, grandfather of Maude Spooner of Cooksville area, then a young man, decided to try his fortune in the New World. He docked at New York City, and about a year later came to Wisconsin which was about 1846. Two years later the three brothers, James, Andrew, and George followed suit. James and Elspit Hume with their small daughter, and Andrew and Hannah MacClaren who had been married in Scotland soon arrived in Wisconsin.
Shortly after, Elizabeth Christie and Janet MacCara who were betrothed to George and David Gillies set sail with their good friends, the William Pratt's on April 10, 1849 from Glasgow, Scotland. Miss Christie had served as bridesmaid for her friend, Ann Drummond who had married William Pratt the day before. These Pratts were the grandparents of Leon Pratt, the husband of Irene (Jones) Pratt. Also in this sailing group was Margaret Gillies, age 28 years. So you see that young Pratt had not only the responsibility of looking after his own wife, but three other young ladies on this perilous trip.
Ships in those days were usually unseaworthy, and the long voyage of six weeks was beset with storms. While many of the passengers spent their time praying for a safe arrival, others manned the pumps for practicability's sake. The ocean trip held such terrors for the young women, that even many years later, when modern ships came into use, they refused to visit the mother country in company with their husbands.
Aunt Lou MacCartney relates that her Grandma Jones first went to the Madden's on Rock Prairie, then she kept house for "Geordie Skinner" who lived where the George Conways now live. Once they had threshers for three weeks, and served chicken at every meal. From there she went to work for Squire Lilburn. Each Sabbath they would attend the Rock Prairie U.P. Church. The Squire rode very erectly on his beautiful chestnut horse, named "Dove". But Margaret Gillies walked the four miles.
The farm of Squire Lilburn, widower and wealthy Scotch gentleman farmer and owner of a thousand acres just east of the village, provided an opportunity to work for many of the young immigrants in those days. It was at the Lilburns that the Jones brothers found employment. Because the large farm required many farm hands to operate it, a large house was needed to accommodate the men. Therefore servants were needed in the home. Miss Gillies received one dollar per week for her services. So it was here that Margaret Gillies and David Jones became acquainted, fell in love, and were married June 28, 1855 in the parsonage of the Rock Prairie Presbyterian Church by a Rev. Walker.
According to tradition the stone for the barn was hauled from the great stone quarry at Carver's Rocks eight miles to the southeast of Turtle Creek. The precious lumber for the house to which David was to bring his bride, called for several trips to Milwaukee. What a tedious journey of four days by the patient plodding oxen, and David walking all the way! The ox-yoke that was used is in the possession of the Bert Lloyd family and is on exhibition here today. But, he had the true pioneer spirit and in due time the buildings were all erected. The house first consisted of what is now the present living room, den, bathroom with the rooms above. John Beasley, a brother of George Beasley who was a local resident, remade the house and was responsible for the small high windows in the upstairs rooms. Within the memory of those present, the house is essentially the same, with the exception of the porch which was removed in 1951. The partition between the two small bedrooms on the south was removed about 1940.
The large wooden key used to lock the horse barn, when horse thieves were prevalent, now hangs on the wall in the kitchen. The barn hinges were all hand made. The buildings were erected well for they have weathered the storms and winds of the prairies for over a century, and "Up the Lane" still holds fond memories for many members of the Jones-Gillies clan.
It was in this sturdy pioneer home that three daughters and one son were born. First came Eliza, then Jessie, William, and Hannah.
Their early schooling was received in the local village school, but for these fine children, that education was not sufficient even in those days. As no high schools had been established in the county, Eliza and Hannah were sent to Milton College in preparation for teaching school. Eliza taught the Sherman School located on what is now the Matt MacCartney farm in LaPrairie. It was the forerunner of the Van Allen School. Hannah taught a rural school near Richmond. Mrs. Julia Martin, now of Emerald Grove, was a fifth grade pupil of hers.
After only 36 years of marriage while living in their beloved pioneer home, Margaret Gillies fell ill and passed away in October 1891. After her death, the daughter Hannah and Andrew Barlass went there to live. In the fall of 1892, he went to live with the daughter Eliza and family. The next spring, 1893, he went to London for a visit and when he returned he purchased what we remember as the Playter home. He had a housekeeper, who was a widow. Her young son became ill with pneumonia, but recovered from the illness. Grandpa Jones contracted the same disease which proved fatal and passed away in March 1895 at the age of 72 years.
The David Jones and the William Lloyd families were members of the Methodist Church which was located across from the present Congregational Church. No doubt, it was here that Eliza became acquainted with Henry G. Lloyd, the only son of William and Martha (Jones) Lloyd, who lived on a farm two miles west of Emerald Grove, and now owned by Mal Wickham. The Lloyds had emigrated from New York State about ________, but originally were from Glamorganshire, Wales.
Henry Lloyd and Eliza Jones were married Feb. 16, 1875, and set up housekeeping on the place known as the Whipple Farm in LaPrairie township. In those days young married couples often lived in the same neighborhood as their parents; and we can imagine how convenient this was when they needed assistance with their work. It was on this farm that Stella and Will were born.. After residing there for four years, they built the buildings on the Norman Little farm, which was a part of his father's farm. Lou and Bert were born there. Either in the fall of 1883 or 1884, they moved to his father's farm. The father had passed away in 1876 and the half-brothers had decided to venture out West. Frank was born there. All the children attended the Van Allen School. One year the disciplinary conditions were so bad that Stell and Will were sent to the Emerald Grove School. They would stable their pony in the church yard stalls. After school, they would go to the store and get the mail which would have been delivered about four o'clock by a man named, Andy Stoker. He always carried a bottle of booze. Because of his resemblance to a Wild West character of like name, he was nicknamed, "Buffalo Bill". He also wore a buffalo robe coat during the winter. The number of the Lloyd P.O. Box was #44. The mail rig had left Janesville early in the morning, stopping at Mt. Zion, Johnstown, Richmond, Fairfield, and Emerald Grove post office before its return to Janesville.
In 1894. the family moved to the Benedict Farm, west of Reid's Corner in La Prairie Twp. Stell was married while they lived here in the fall of 1898. The next move was to the Lane Farm (Raymond Scott Farm). On Dec. 26, 1899, the father Henry Lloyd, age 48, passed away, after he had been stricken with pneumonia for a few days. After two years on the Lane Farm, they moved to the Mouat Farm on Ruger Avenue Road. Bert, Lou, and Will were married while they lived there.
In the fall of 1906, Frank and his mother moved "Up the Lane". Frank was married in 1908. Grandmother Lloyd purchased the home of Dr. E.A. Loomis in the village of Emerald Grove. (Mrs. Alice Lloyd and family now reside there.) As a matter of interest to those who remember the terrible tornado of Nov. 11, 1911 (Ed note: 11/11/11!), she settled in this home that day, and resided there until her death thirty years later.
Stella married Harry L. Jones, her second cousin who was also the grandson of the original Robert Jones who came here from Wales. His parents died when he was a lad, and at the time of marriage he was living with Matt Van Allen's grandfather, Matt Van Allen. What significance it had, I do not know, but probably as old Scotch or Welsh custom, that they were married under toe ox yoke that belonged to Grandpa William Lloyd. This ox yoke is on exhibition here today, and is tentatively in the possession of Irene (Jones) Pratt. Harry and Stella first lived on the same farm as her folks once did, the Norman Little Farm. Other farms in the same community were also farmed by them, including the William Lloyd farm for four years. In 1927 they moved to Janesville. He was a General Motors employee. Both are now deceased.
Will Lloyd married Avis Turk, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Turk. They lived on what is now known as the Kampf farm. Soon Avis contracted T.B. and went to Arizona for her health, but the malady proved fatal. In Sept. 1908, he married Margaret Decker, daughter of Will and Jeanette Decker. They lived "Up the land" from 1911 until ____, when she passed away, leaving two small sons. They went to live with Grandmother Lloyd for a short time, and then were adopted by Will's brother Frank and his wife. On Feb. 1915, he married Lucy Shuler. They lived on other farms in the area and then went to Janesville, where he worked in a large General Motors Plant. He retired a few years ago, and now resides at Charley Bluff, a subdivision, at Lake Koshkonong.
Lou, the second daughter, was married to Hugh MacCartney, the son of James and Jessie (Sherman) MacCartney in May of 1902. For many years they lived on the Sherman farm in LaPrairie, (Matt MacCartney farm). Since 1927 they have lived on various farms in the Emerald Grove and Milton areas, and now reside with their two sons, David and Richard, two miles Southwest of Avalon.
Bert (Gilbert) Lloyd was married to Alice Hill, daughter of Joseph and Mary Hill of LaPrairie township in 1905. For many years they lived on the Hamilton Farm on Ruger Road, then on the Hill farm and from there to the Tom Jones farm on Highway 11. Later they moved "Up the Lane", then to the tenant house, and from there to the village house.
The youngest son, Frank H. was married to Florice Reeder, the daughter of William and Mary Wilcox Reeder of LaPrairie in 1907. In 1921 they moved to her brother, Charles Reeder's farm in LaPrairie (now the Joseph Frei farm), where they lived until her passing in 1937. He left the farm business, and for several years assisted with work at the Roosevelt School in Janesville until his retirement in 1954. He now resides at 1230 S. Washington St., Janesville, at the home of his second cousin, Mrs. Edith Hill.
Jessie, the second child of David and Margaret Jones, at the age of sixteen was taken by Clara Warner (now the Duoss farm) and educated in eastern schools only returning every other summer. Later she graduated from the Presbyterian Training School for Nurses in Chicago and did public and private nursing until her marriage to Henry Forbes of Chicago in 1892 by the Rev. F.A. Nobel of the U.P. Church. Uncle Forbes, as he was known by the family, was a member of a very wealthy family. The four Forbes Brothers' business was known as the Forbes Mercantile Business. They purchased large tracts of lumber and sold it to the various logging firms. The sister of the brothers was Mrs. P.B. Yates of Beloit, whose husband was head of the Yates American of Beloit. After the death of his brothers, he traveled extensively in interests of the business. They lived in hotels in Cleveland, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Denver. Once they set up housekeeping for about two years as Uncle Forbes would have liked a home life, but she preferred a life in a hotel where no housekeeping responsibilities were incurred. They often vacationed in Wisconsin, spending several weeks with relatives in this area. After his passing in 1930, she resided in an apartment hotel, and later in a nursing home in Denver. She left Denver and came to Janesville to reside with her niece, Edith B. Hill. In October she went to a nursing home where she passed away on Dec. 24, 1952 at the age of 94. Both Aunt Jessie and Uncle Forbes are buried in Rosehill Cemetery in Chicago.
William J. Jones, the only son of David and Margaret Jones attended Janesville Business College. In addition to assisting his father with the farm work, he worked at Squire and Munger's Store in the Grove as a lad, and earned forty cents a week by candling eggs. His marriage to Helen Barlass, daughter of David and Margaret (More) Barlass took place in 1890. They lived in the village of Emerald Grove in the house now owned by Mrs. Ruth Hanks. Their only daughter, Catherine was born there.
For several years Will Jones and his cousin, James Gillies of Evansville, conducted a large general merchandise store in the village. Later, he purchased the Gillies' interest. Then, about 1906 sold the store to a Mr. Crooks. They purchased a home at the corner of Forest Park Blvd. and Ruger Avenue in Janesville where they lived in retirement. Later a smaller home was built on the lot where each lived until each passed away after the age of 80 years.
After the death of his father in 1895, he purchased the family farm of 153 acres and rented it to tenants; among them being his nephew, Will, Bert, and Frank Lloyd. He always took pride in the ownership of the family farm and loved to take his grandchildren out to the farm to have them enjoy the fun of being on a farm. In 1929 he sold it to his cousin John Jones' sons, Wallace and Leslie Jones. In 1955, the farm was awarded a Century Farm Certificate by the State of Wisconsin as it had been in the family for over one hundred years.
The daughter, Catherine, married George Porter, son of Clara and David Porter of Walworth and resided near her parents in Janesville. (Ed note: To them were born four children, Helen, Catherine (Kay), and twins Margaret and David.)
Hannah, the youngest child, also attended Milton College and taught school for a short time until her marriage to Andrew Barlass. He was the only son of David and Catherine (More) Barlass on the Ruger Avenue Road. Eight of their first eleven years of marriage was spent in South Dakota. Many young couples in this area were lured to the Dakotas in those days, seeking more profitable returns from the virgin soils. Alas! Drought, grasshoppers, and poor crops forced many of them to return to their native state. After returning from Dakota, they went "Up the Lane". Her mother had passed away so "Grandpa David" lived with them. It was while they lived there that Edith was born. After the father's passing in 1895, they moved to his father's farm, and remained there until Uncle Andrew's death in 1916. Aunt Hannah lived in Emerald Grove for a short time, and then moved to Janesville where she lived until her passing in 1923.
Edith, the only child, married George Hill, the oldest son of Joseph and Mary Hill, of La Prairie in the fall of 1916. He passed away Dec. 1933. Edith Hill still owns this farm, and recently received a Century Award Certificate, as it had been in the family for over a century.
We like to remember Aunt Hannah, as the talented musician and gracious hostess. She was organist of the Emerald Grove Congregational Church for many years. Whenever she was asked to play the piano, she graciously responded with beautiful music played from memory. How we enjoyed the church hymns, marches, folk tunes, and semi-classical tunes! For many years the annual Christmas dinner was always held at the Barlass homestead, and those of you who were born prior to 1912 can recall the beautifully decorated tree. (No electric lights in those days.) Two long tables were festively set with beautiful china. It was a cooperative dinner and I assure you that it was a most bountiful repast. Aunt Hannah always made the traditional Scotch shortbread. There are snapshots available of one of those gatherings.
About 1942, Edith left the farm, and now resides at 1230 S. Washington St., Janesville. (Ed Note: Edith died in October 1995 at the age of 102.)
This history story would not be complete without paying just tribute to the lads of the fourth generation who distinguished themselves in the service of our country during World War II. First, Cpl. Raymond Hill, son of George and Edith Hill, who was a member of the 192nd Tank Battalion of the Janesville area. At the time of Pearl Harbor, he was stationed with the forces of Gen. Douglas MacArthur near Manila, P.I. In April 1942, he was one of the 12,000 men who were captured by the Japanese on the now famous Corregidor Island. Later, he was on the "Bataan Death March". On July 22, 1942, he succumbed to dysentery and lies buried in far off Philippines. Memorial services for Raymond were held at the Emerald Grove Church on August 26, 1942.
Second, Cpl. Earl Lloyd, second son of Bert and Alice Lloyd entered the army on Dec. 16, 1942 serving in the 184th Infantry and receiving training at Salinas Garrison and Fort Ord, Cal. He sailed for overseas on July 11, 1943. As a soldier in the infantry, he fought in the cold boggy Aleutians; the hot muggy Marshalls; swampy, disease infested Leyte; and the malaria ridden snake infested island of Okinawa. He served as a tank gunner with the Seventh Division, and lost two tanks; one in a river on Leyte, and the other on Okinawa when it hit two mines. Earl was nicked in the mine blast suffering from a piece of metal in the knee. At the time of discharge he had earned 95 points and was presented with ribbons for his distinguished service namely: Asiatic-Pacific Ribbon with four campaign stars and the arrowhead of the first amphibious landing: the Philippine liberation ribbon with two stars; combat infantry medal; the Purple Heart and Good Conduct Medal.
Third, Sgt. Howard Lloyd, the third son of Bert and Alice Lloyd enlisted Oct. 1, 1940. After being trained with an ordinance unit at Camp Claiborne, Camp Beauregarde, and Camp Livingston, La., he spent more than two years in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater, being discharged on Nov. 30, l945.
Fourth, Cpl. David MacCartney served with the armed forces at the time of the Korean conflict 1951-1953. He was a member of the Field Artillery and was stationed in Germany for some time.
Others, who have completed their military service since the cessation of war activities are David Porter, Charles Wanninger, and Raymond Lloyd, Jr.
For the younger and succeeding generation who read this, you may wonder what the various families did for a living. They were of a rural background, consequently they were predominantly farmers. A few of the present generations have been absorbed into the great industrial shops near by, but those who have, have kept in touch with Mother Earth by creating fine gardens. The creativeness of the carpentry trade has interested some of them. But, I dare say that Grandfather and Grandmother Jones would scarcely recognize the modern farm and the complexity of life in this community today.
We can boast of no politicians, doctors, lawyers, ministers, or business executives. Several of the women are employed in business offices, are nurses or teachers of high quality. But when we review the record, all have performed their tasks well. No, not one, has had a prison record.
We have always remained close to living things, close to Life, hence close to the Creator; following steadily the important profession of agriculture, upon which all of us depend.
Daniel Webster said, "When tillage begins, other arts follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization." James Russell Lowell's contribution was, "The soil is good to be born on, good to live on, good to die for and to be buried in." Therefore, be not ashamed of your heritage. We may not have been the leaders of great movements in history, but may we congratulate ourselves by and large, for being the finest of followers and cooperators, without which many great accomplishments might have fallen to the wayside. Each of you have made your contribution to society with the talents that you have been endowed.
It is interesting to note that nearly every member of the clan is within thirty minute drive of Emerald Grove: the exceptions being Margaret Porter Anderson of Madison; Joan Lloyd Roherty of Baltimore; Evelyn 'Goehl' Wanninger and Isabelle Morton of Milwaukee; Janet MacCartney of Madison, Raymond Lloyd with the armed services in Virginia; and Catherine Porter Brown of Bozeman, Montana. This is, indeed, quite a record, when we know that families of today are often scattered to the four corners of the earth. If all members of this great clan were able to answer roll call today, 121 would reply. Twenty-three are deceased, and 18 of those are buried in the Emerald Grove Cemetery, 2 in Johnstown Cemetery, 1 in Milton Lawns, Janesville, and 2 in Roselawn, Chicago.
This simple story of our families is not considered authentic for time was limited. Dates of births, deaths, and marriages of the last three generations were not secured, but for those who are interested, fill in the data. Also, continue the story in your own family so that these and succeeding generations may learn and know of life in the twentieth century. I have had a deep and abiding interest in the accomplishment of such a project for many years. This would not have been possible without letters from relatives, now deceased, and information made available from Uncle Will and Uncle Frank Lloyd, Aunt Lou MacCartney, Aunt Alice, and Cousin Edith Hill. I am also indebted to Mrs. Lellah Decker and Mrs. Helen McDermott for contributions on Robert Jones' genealogy, to Mrs. Maud Spooner for David Gillies' genealogy, and to Elsie Slawson Peabody for the James H. Gillies' genealogy. To anyone else who has contributed any information, I express my sincere thanks.
May I close with this Bible verse- Nehemiah 7:5 "And may God put it in my heart to gather the nobles and the rulers and the people that they might be reckoned with genealogy."
The above family history was copied as nearly to the letter as was possible from a
mimeographed report written by Irene (Jones) Pratt. Because the mimeo was fading, I
felt it important to retype the information.
Margaret (Porter) Anderson
The above family history was optically scanned into a computer wordprocessor and edited
Hal William Jennings
Grandson to George and Catherine (Jones) Porter
[ Jennings Family Home-Page | Jennings Genealogy ]Copyright © 2008 by Hal W. Jennings